Abbott, William M.
William M. Abbott is an attorney and partner of the Firm. A lifelong resident of Jackson County, Mr. Abbott received his Bachelor of Arts degree from Albion College, Magna Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa, in 1972. After graduating from Albion College, Mr. Abbott went on to receive his J.D. from the University of Michigan, Cum Laude, in 1975. Mr. Abbott is a member of the American Bar Association, the State Bar of Michigan (Member Sections on: Taxation; Corporations; and Labor & Employment Law), and the Jackson County Bar Association.
Mr. Abbott's practice is primarily focused in the following areas of law: Business & Corporate; Labor & Employment; Acquisitions; Real Estate; Employee Benefits; and School Law. Mr. Abbott is experienced in various areas of alternative dispute resolution and has participated in complex arbitration proceedings both as an arbitrator and an advocate.
Mr. Abbott is an active member of the Jackson community, serving as a board member of the John George Student Loan Fund and Family Services and Children's Aid. Additionally, Mr. Abbott coached in the Hanover-Horton Women's Volleyball Program for twenty-three years, and he was Varsity Coach for twelve years. He continues to serve as President of the Jackson Area Volleyball Association as well as on the Michigan Interscholastic Volleyball Coaches Association Board of Directors.
Mr. Abbott speaks French proficiently and is learning Spanish. He travels to remote parts of the world as often as his schedule permits.
- The University of Michigan Law School, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- J.D. - 1975
- Honors: cum laude
- Albion College, Albion, Michigan
- B.A. - 1972
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
Fraternities or Sororities
- Delta Sigma Phi
- John George Student Loan Fund, 1980
- Jackson Area Volleyball Association, Inc., 1978
- American Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of Michigan Taxation, Corporations, and Labor & Employment Law Sections, Member
- Jackson County Bar Association, Member
Current Employment Position
- Business & Corporate
- Labor & Employment
- Real Estate
- Employee Benefits
- School Law
- Michigan, 1975
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan, 1978
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1978
- U.S. Tax Court, 1980
- AV Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell